Recycling In Sussex logo

A fire recently broke out in one of Horsham District Council’s waste lorries which was caused by batteries in one of its waste collection vehicles. Thankfully, the waste collection team were able to control the situation with fire extinguishers and return to Hop Oast Depot where the contents of the lorry was emptied.

While this situation was luckily controlled, not disposing of batteries properly is very dangerous and can cause fires both in waste lorries and on landfill. Make sure that batteries you need to get rid of are disposed of at a collection point.

In Horsham, the Tesco Express on Brighton Road has a batteries collection point. You can read the full news story on the Council website: